The Kiwanis Club of Kitchener-Waterloo (KW Kiwanis) was chartered as one of 7,700 clubs in 80 countries in 1921. Our motto is "Serving the Children of the World".
History: A work in progress - we have completed to 1991
1921 Chartered March 7 and received April 22, 1921, with 45 charter members. The meetings in 1921-22 were held at Cupids Inn, second floor, corner of King and Ontario Streets.
1922 Began boys work at camp in Bridgeport.
1923 Moved to YMCA
1924 Leased Paradise Lake as a campsite
1925 Camp in full swing, 450 boys and 75 girls in dining tents and bell
1927 Optioned and leased Paradise Lake Camp; 45 Kiwanians built the dining hall
1931 Held a Kiwanis Jollies Minstrel Show at the Star Theatre. It became very popular and was continued for a few years as fund-raising project.
1935 462 boys and girls attended camp
1937 Kiwanis signs erected at entrances to city
1938 Purchased the camp from John Kaufman, 23.9 acres for $2868.00
1940 Club incorporated for legal purposes. Walter P. Zeller, Governor from Montreal, (a former Kitchener boy) installed Lou Buckley and his board on Jan 10.
1944 Decided to build house for raffle- purchased lot on Glasgow St.
1945 Completed Kiwanis home- netted $57,000
1946 Bought 20 acres plus (remainder of farm) of camp property from E. Shute for $8750.00
1947 Formed a glee club
1949 Bought the Crawford cottage for $7391.00. Planted 2400 trees at the camp under the direction of Wilf Schneller and Art Boegel.
1950 Kiwaniqueens started fashion show
1951 Started the builder drive to raise money- $5900 that year from house-to-house visitation.
1952 Kiwanians oust heckling pig. The beribboned, diapered pig was presented to Stephan Jones, manager of the Kitchener Chamber of commerce, at a noon luncheon in the Crystal Ballroom of the Walper House by Kiwanian Bill Ball. The pig interrupted the guest speaker, T.R. Hillard, Toronto Director of Extension for the Ontario Department of Agriculture by Oink! Oink! Oink! Squee! And finally he stopped talking and asked “Will someone please remove my opposition?”
1954 Dr. Dalt Messersmith was president. Club took over the Sponsorship of the Waterloo County Music Festival (today over 10,000 participants)
1955 Organized first Circle K Club at Waterloo College
1957 Charlie Henderson organized a “Build-a-thon”-at the camp
1958 Membership now 142. Club sponsored the Twin Cities Kiwanis Club.
1959 Operation Drug Alert was our 59 objective
1961 106 members out at one meeting. Raised and sold Birds of Paradise (pheasants) – oversold by 165 brace
1963 Chartered Circle K club at U. of W. Don Smith formed Kiwanis band.
1964 Sponsored a Career Exposition headed by Ken W. Smith - over 10,000 students attended. It was so successful, we decided to hold another in 1966. Ken was a remarkable organizer had his hand in the formation of the newer clubs, was district Governor for two terms and a past International Trustee.
1966 Raised and sold pheasants at camp.
1969 Was a 9-month term. Kiwanis International changed the year to “October 1 to September 30”. Lloyd Lougheed was labeled the “pregnant” President.
1971 Our Club with the Twin Cities Club hosted the E.C & C. District Convention with over 1200 in attendance
1973 YMCA took over operation of Camp. The Meals on Wheels program was initiated under the chairmanship of Harold Cumming, who chaired a committee searching for a much needed community project and won an International Award. Joint meeting with Rotary with Premier Bill Davis as speaker.
Donated $1500 to Jamaican Vocational School.
1974 Sponsored the Elmira Club
1975 Started Sweethearts Ball proposed by Jim Ainsworth
1977 Sponsored Rockway Club
1979 Sponsored Laurel Club. Moved our noon meeting place from the Walper Hotel to the Conestoga Inn
1981 Built two double cottages at camp
1982 Kitchener-Waterloo Kiwanis Clubs hosted the E.C. & C. district Convention under the chairmanship of Jerry Leyes. Also raffled a car and made $5400.
1985 Club made over $40,000 sponsoring Bingo on Wednesday nights. Purchased home for $80.000 along with Twin Cities Club for use by House of Friendship for “street kids” (male) known as Kiwanis House - 85 Wilhelm St. Kitchener Entertained International President Don Williams in May, 1985.
1987 Sponsored a 4H Club again and an Air Cadets squadron in 1988.
1989 Provided financial support for Marillac Place, a shelter for women located in Madison Ave. South and for ROOF (reaching Our Outdoor Friends)
The club enjoys a “Happy Fine” scenario at each noon luncheon. This is accomplished by the Kiwanians standing up and stating why they are happy and putting their money in the fine box. This innovation has created a great deal of fun by member participation as well as raising a fair amount of money for the administrative account.
1990 Made a donation in support of Parents Are People Too. Dr. Ken W. Smith was elected International Vice-President at the international Convention in St. Louis, Missouri, June 24/90
1991 Under the presidency of Dr. Malcolm Shantz, the club is reaching out to new groups requiring financial assistance. The 1991 theme of Kiwanis is “Young Children - Priority One”. The club is pursuing a suitable project to meet this challenge.